Stuffed Zucchini with Sausage, Cheese and Fresh Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
What You'll Know
- 1 medium to medium large zucchini
- 2 cups fresh green beans
- 1/2 lb mild sausage (or your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon of The Gourmet Farm Girl Blackening Seasoning
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 small yellow squash sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese (chopped)
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes (sliced)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh basil (julienned)
Wash zucchini and cut in half (long way) scoop out seeds with a spoon; salt and pepper. Place on a heavy cookie sheet with sides or in a large casserole dish; pour 2 cups hot water onto tray or dish; place in oven for 45-50 minutes till zucchini is tender. Note: Check often, more water may be needed.
While zucchini is baking…
Wash and snap green beans; place in steamer or a pot with a small amount of water (1/2 cup)
Cook for 5-7 minutes or till tender, drain keep warm and set aside
In a medium size skillet sprayed with cooking oil brown sausage over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with blackening seasoning. Note: add more or less according to your liking.
Add the chopped onions and garlic; continue to cook for 1-2 minutes till onions tender. Add the sliced yellow squash and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes till squash tenders.
tomatoes and remaining cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes till cheese is melted and tomatoes are soft.
Place zucchini on a large serving platter, top with the fresh basil and line the edges with the green beans. Serve immediately .
This recipe can be served as an appetizer too.