- Main Course
- Suitable for Diet
- Pre-heat oven to 375
What You’ll Need
- 6-7 roasted garlic cloves smashed
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil or
- (The Gourmet Farm Girl Mission Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Basil Pesto
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels
- 1/2 cup red wine (use a good one)
- 5-6 stems of Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (use a good one)
Cut one head of garlic in half; drizzle one half with olive oil and lightly salt; wrap in foil and bake for 20-30 minutes till soft and fragrant. Reserve the other half for another recipe
While the garlic roasts, heat the butter and olive oil in a large deep skillet that has a lid. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil pesto, oregano sprigs and pepper, reduce heat to simmer.
Remove the garlic from the foil and allow to cool, when cool enough to handle squeeze the garlic into a small bowl and smash with a spoon. Stir the garlic into the broth.
Turn the heat back up and bring the broth to a boil; pour the mussels into the hot broth and add the wine. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until all the mussels open.
(Discard any that do not open)
Garnish with the chopped parsley and grated cheese; serve immediately with some crisp bread for dipping.