Pickled Shrimp (New Orleans Style)
What You'll Need
- 3 pounds raw large shrimp (shells and tails on)
- 1 large sweet onion cut into quarters and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 14 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons dried chili seeds
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped
- 2 fresh lemons sliced, plus ½ cup fresh lemon juice
Boil shrimp till orange in color, opaque throughout and shaped like a C. Remove shells; leaving tails on. Tip: bring 3 quarts of salted water to a boil; add shrimp and turn down heat to simmer and let shrimp steep Shrimp are best when cooked gently.
Combine all the above except the lemon slices; in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss to coat the shrimp with the mixture. Place the lemon slices on the top and cover. Let marinate in the refrigerator overnight or at least 7-8 hours.
Transfer to a clean glass bowl or large plate before serving and garnish with additional fresh herbs such as sage leaves, coriander or cilantro leaves.
Note: you will need 3 large scallops for each shell