What You need
- 2- 2 1/2 pounds Fresh Mussels (beards removed)
- 4-5 garlic cloves chopped
- 2-3 hot peppers or chilies
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (yellow, orange and green)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-2 Tablespoons dried cilantro or 3-4 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 2- 12 oz bottles of beer (Dos Equis, Modelo, Tecate or Corona’s)
- 1 lemon or lime
In a large stock pot over medium to medium high heat melt the butter and olive oil.
Add the onions, garlic cloves and peppers;
saute until tender, 4-5 minutes; add the canned tomatoes and cumin; continue to cook for 2-3 minutes;
Pour the beer into the pot and heat up for 2-3 minutes; add the mussels, give a quick stir and cover.
Cook mussels for 8-10 minutes till all are open (discard any that did not open)
Add the cilantro; squeeze some lemon or lime juice over them, stir and serve immediately in a large bowl with some of the broth and toasted or crisp bread for dipping.