- Heat your grill to 425 degrees
What You’ll Need
- 4 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery (and some of the green leaves)
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 (or heavy cream)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- hot pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Husk the corn and rub each ear with a tablespoon of butter. Place on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes till just charred a little; remove and allow to cool
In a medium size stock pot heat the oil over medium high heat, add the garlic, onions and celery sauté till just tender 2-3 minutes.
Add the chicken stock, reduce heat to simmer and cover with a tilted lid.
Cut the kernels of corn from the cobs and set aside. Place the cobs into the hot soup and continue to simmer for about 12-15 minutes. (this will add additional flavor)
Remove the cobs and add to the compost. Add the kernels of corn to the soup and continue to simmer over low heat for an additional 12-15 minutes till the kernels are tender.
Add the 1/2 and 1/2 or cream additional tablespoon of butter and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Whisk together the cornstarch with the cold water and slowly stir into the soup to thicken.
Serve with a sprinkle of hot peppers on top along with fresh cilantro leaves.
*You can stir in the hot pepper flakes if desired.*
Serve with some crisp bread too!